The Office of the Superintendent of Police, Lawngtlai District was created in the year 1998 when Chhimtuipui District was divided into Siaha District and Lawngtlai District. Pu John Neihlaia, MPS was the first Superintendent of Police.
Lawngtlai District Police is headed by the Superintendent of Police who is appointed by the Government of Mizoram and is assisted by various rank gazetted officers viz., the Additional Superintendent of Police (Addl. SP) and two Sub-Divisional Police Officers (SDPOs), one at Lawngtlai and another at Chawngte.
The Office of the Superintendent of Police consists of the following Branches –
(a) General Branch, (b) Account Branch, (c) Crime Branch, (d) Reserve Office/Branch, and (e) The District Special Branch (f) MT Branch. There is also a Confidential Branch which deals with all confidential matters and is handled either by the Personnel Assistant to the Superintendent of Police or any other Ministerial officer selected by the Superintendent of Police.
(1) Ensuring that law and order is always maintained in the District; the Officers-in-charge and the Gazetted Officers are always watchful of situation in the district taking timely action to prevent any spread or conflagration of any incident affecting law and order or any incident of communal nature. Any derelictions of duty on this matter are always sternly dealt with. Maintaining cordial relationship on this matter with the Executive Magistrates.
(2) Crime control is the other key function of the DEF. Even though, the crime rate in the district is low, the DEF is always making efforts like regular patrolling and awareness to prevent crime.
(3) Ensuring timely collection of intelligence and their dissemination through the District Special Branch is one important responsibility of Lawngtlai District Police. Collection of information of all-important developments, political or otherwise, in the district and keeping superiors informed is another functions and responsibilities.
(4) Maintaining close cooperation with the District Magistrate and keeping him informed of all important developments in the district which may have its repercussion in the law and order situation and all matters of public importance.
(5) Regular meeting with the NGOs, Church Leaders and other respected persons of society are held to ensure co-ordination and co-operation with them.
(6) Community policing initiatives like drugs and liquor joint checking with NGOs, POCSO awareness campaign among children in schools, traffic awareness drives are also regularly conducted.
Child Friendly Corner: The Child friendly Corner was set up in 2018 which was the first in Mizoram. It was created with the purpose of creating a convenient environment for children visiting the Police Station.
Regular foot patrolling: Intensive foot patrolling was held regularly day and night by concerned Police Station and Police Outpost within the district.
Drugs Awareness in Schools: Drugs awareness campaign had been held in various schools so as to educate the school children on the ill-effects of drugs.
Capacity Building of Police Station/Outpost: All Police Stations and Police Outposts were provided with Television set, Search Lights, Fluorescent jackets, extra handcuffs. Some stations were also provided with inverter set so as to cope with the fluctuating electric especially during the monsoon season.
Lawngtlai District Police Welfare Committee was constituted under the chairmanship of the Superintendent of Police, Lawngtlai. Besides, MPSOA, Lawngtlai Branch and Police Wife Welfare Committee, Lawngtlai Branch also constituted.